Below is a photograph of the Neptune Hotel at Penguin. Captain James Taylor built the hotel in 1887. A year later he exchanged it for a ketch called Eveline owned by Captain Christian Anthon, who became the licensee until 1902.
Captain Christian was one of three Anthon brothers who commenced their seafaring life in the Baltic Sea before making their way to Australia in the 1860s. The other two brothers were Captain Jens and Captain Daniel Anthon.
In his application for naturalisation in the colony of Victoria, Captain Jens Anthon stated that he arrived in colony in 1861 by the ship William Jackson from Bristol, England. From there Jens became involved in shipping operations along the Victorian coast as well as intercolonial trade.
In December 1870 Jens and his brother, Captain Daniel Anthon, bought the Don, a vessel that was engaged in operations between Tasmania and the mainland.
All three brothers were heavily involved in the northwest coast trade, during which time they owned a schooner called Anthons.
While Captain Jens and Christian set down their roots in Tasmania, Captain Daniel went on to command vessels for the John See and North Coast Steamship Company, operating out of Sydney. He remained with the company for over 20 years.