The annual visit of the Northwest Coast team of bowlers to Launceston created a stir among the bowling fraternity in Launceston in January 1927. The Northwest Coast had won the Keen Shield in 1926. However, on this occasion, Cobern’s Ulverstone team, Abbott’s Latrobe and Wynyard team, Gardiner’s Devonport team and Trethewie’s Burnie team were all defeated.
The four Northwest Coast skippers from left to right: Cobern, Gardiner, Trethewie and Abbot
The first bowling club in Australia took place at the Bowling Green Hotel in Hobart in 1846. Later, on the occasion of a match between military and civilian teams in 1852, it was recorded that nearly 1,000 spectators paid for admission to the green. From 1853, after the Bowling Green Hotel had been converted into a private residence, no record could be found of the game being played in Tasmania until the establishment of the Launceston Club in 1883.
The first rinks in Burnie and Ulverstone were laid down in 1908. The first jack to be thrown in Devonport was in December 1907. Latrobe came a little later in 1909 with land purchased at the back of Maddox’s stables for the new green. The club’s first meeting transpired at the Lucas Hotel.The Penguin Bowls Club was also born over a few beers, at the Neptune Grand Hotel in 1927, speaking of which, there are some excellent photos to be found at the following link.