The Bay View Hotel was first constructed in 1875 by a prominent local entrepreneur, Captain William Jones. The weatherboard building was originally known as the Jones Hotel.
It was fortuitous that immediately after the hotel opened, 150 men dined at the hotel. They had arrived from Melbourne, Launceston and various inland districts to work on the nearby tramway project and at Mount Bischoff.
The photo was taken in 1912 during a vehicle reliability trial run from Launceston to Burnie. There were 20 vehicles in the trial in addition to seven motorcycles.
At a later inquest, there were no evidence to show how the fire originated. Apparently, it was not the first time a fire took place at the Commercial Hotel. In 1890, fire destroyed the Commercial Hotel stables as well as the adjoining stables of the Bay View Hotel. In 1889, fire broke out in an unoccupied cottage belonging to John Reid at the rear of Commercial and Bay View Hotels. Stables and outhouses belonging to the Commercial Hotel were destroyed. However, a well organised bucket system kept the fire from spreading to the Bay View Hotel.
With characteristic pluck and energy, Wiseman immediately began preparation to re-commence business.
The weatherboard hotel that was destroyed in 1896 had 45 rooms. The new brick hotel would be on a grander scale with 65 rooms.
The Bay View Hotel shortly after it was completed in 1899
At this time, Fleming had recently installed hot and cold water into some of the rooms. He said it was his intention to complete the remaining rooms once another hot water system had been installed.
By this, one would imagine the rooms were not as self contained as hotel accommodations are today.
However, today the Bay View at 10 Marine Terrace is no longer a hotel, but a medical centre containing doctors’ offices and various other medical facilities.
Bay View Hotel today, now a medical clinic (photographer Gary Houston). According to the Burnie Heritage Study, the Bay View Hotel is one of Burnie's oldest surviving hotel buildings. It demonstrates simple Victorian Georgian architecture with some classical elements. It appears the one chimney is the only part of the exterior that remains intact.
Thanks for checking in and welcome to my adventure
Follow in Facebook to receive the latest updates