In last week’s Photo of the Week, you saw the back of an Indian motorcycle with a side car. This week is the front view with photographer H J King’s wife in in the passenger seat. In the background is the township of Moina, beyond the Sheffield district.
H J King was the same photographer who took the picture of the Nut posted on 16 March 2018.
Following is a brief overview of Stanley's history published in the Circular Head Chronicle in 1942:
The VDL Company received a Royal Charter to select 250,000 acres of land in Tasmania. Mr Curr sent his deputy, William Adey, to explore the North West Coast in 1826. After a search, Adey selected Circular Head, describing it as the best land he had seen in the colony.
The ship Transmere arrived in Stanley towards the end of 1826. The ship brought twenty indentured servants together with tools, building materials, clothing, utensils, seeds and fifty Cotswold sheep and two Teeswater cows.
The following was published in the Launceston Examiner on 4 April 1918:
"This institution is to be officially opened tomorrow. His Excellency the Governor, Sir F Newdegate, will visit Wynyard to perform the ceremony, and will be accompanied by Captain Booth (Private Secretary). The Warden, J T Johnston, will meet and welcome his Exellency. The hospital is proving a great boon to the district and has been made practically full of patients since it was thrown open at the latter end of last year."
Below is a photograph of the Spencer Hospital as it appeared in 1919. Earlier photos of the hospital while still under construction can be found through the search engine on the Gallery webpage.
In 1928, the town of Wynyard was described as follows:
Wynyard has a population of about 1,500 and the municipality of Table Cape, of which Wynyard is the centre, has a population of nearly 6,000. The town is well laid out with well-kept roads and footpaths. It has excellent water service and electric supply, a public library, three public halls, in two of which pictures are screened regularly, seven banks and five churches, the bank buildings and churches being very noticeable architectural features of the town. The town is well catered for from a sporting standpoint, there being two excellent golf courses within easy reach of the town.
Thanks for checking in and welcome to my adventure
Follow in Facebook to receive the latest updates